Electronics-Lab.com Community

Help with Sleeping-Aid plzz!!

yaserz

Hello everybody,
briefly ,i decided to work on the sleeping-aid device that's found on on the following link : http://www.electronics-lab.com/projects/science/010
but what i have to know is that what is the frequency that's genertated by the radiated coil L1 ?in order to satsify people that this sleeping aid really helps for sleeping ,i should know the genetrated frequency and check if it's a well known freqency and can really help or affect human brain in sleeping ?
i will be highly happily and grateful if anyone could help me with this.

best regards.

Hi Yazserz,
Welcome to our forum. ;D
The project says that it radiates magnetic waves of 1.2Hz and 5Hz mixed together.
I don't think the waves will go far enough to do anything for anybody.
I think the project will help people sleep just as well if it is turned off due to the placebo effect (don't tell).

The waves are abrupt square waves instead of smooth sine waves. If the waves have any effect on people then the abrupt on and off of the waves might wake people instead of calming them. ;D

I don't know if the exact science behind this but I imagine it's something to do with brain waves and generating a similar frequency to a sleeping brain. Contary to what audioguru said these extremely low frequency magnetic fields are quite penetrating because they don't affect matter much due to their extremely low energy level and for this reason I doubt they will have much affect on the brain.

I don't think you should be put off bulding it though because it's good practice, you'll gain some experiance from it and if it works then all the better. ;D

If the gadget wakes you, you could watch its blinking LED that might make you sleep. ;D
You could have it slowly attract then repel other magnets.

If your brain is sensitive to magnetic waves, then what happens when you pass through the earth's magnetic field when walking, driving or flying? There aren't many sleep-walkers on the streets.
What about magnetic resonance scanning machines in hospitals? They are extremely powerful.
What about wearing magnetic headphones very close to your brain?
What about passing under power lines?

Baa humbug, there are many quacks trying to make a buck at the expense of gullible people.

it could be altered to simulate waves from a very active brain set to wake you up like an alarm clock instead!

It wouldn't be difficult to mod it to make a coil-launcher out of it. It just needs a little more power in its coil. Then it could shoot many steel washers all over your room making a noise and the few that hit you should wake you. ;D

Hi again buddies,

Thanks very much for your quick response.
In fact ,you can't tell that the genertated frequency from L1 (radiator coil) will be the same as the generated frequency from IC2C & IC2D ,because they are converted into pulses at C5 & C6 then they go to the coil knowing that this coil has specific paramters that will change the bahviour of the generated electromagnetic field ,thus we may obtain difference frequency.

However,i bought all the components except the radiator coil because i don't know it's value ,hence i have to make it myself.

once i construct the circuit ,i will use the oscillscope and frequency analyzer to test this circuit.
To be frank ,i'm doing this circuit for my graduation project at my univeristy and i can't stop now ,i'm involved :(

any help will be highly appreciated guys ,please feel with me :(

best regards

"Somethings are true whether you believe in them or not "

Yassir Zayyad
Amman- Jordan
PO BOX 230078 area code 11123

Hi Yassir,
Maybe you should make a second coil that could be used to give an output of magnetic coupling between the coils. It would show you the very short range of magnetic radiation from the project's coil.
Maybe you should add a resistor in series with the project's coil, to allow you to monitor the current in the coil. About 5.6 ohms might have an output of 1V.

C5 and C6 are charged and discharged by R8 and R9 in only about 200us. So the magnetic radiation of the circuit would be these very short pulses at the oscillators' 1.2Hz and 5Hz rates.
We don't know the inductance value of the project's coil so its current rise-time can't be calculated. The 5.6 ohm resistor added in series with the coil will show you how much or how little is the amount of current that builds in the coil for each pulse.