Electronics-Lab.com Community

help about this supply

Dear Friends I am doing some small research about power supplies and found this one interesting:  www.redcircuits.com/Page36.htm

I have some questions if you don't mind:

Why is it that a centre tapped transformer is used instead of a normal transformer?  Is this only to use two diodes instead of four or because of any other particular reason?

What is the difference between linear and non linear power supplies please?

Your answer would be greatly appreciated

Thanks in advance.

Regard,
Steve
Malta
;)

dear,

i have recieved ur question.

ans : actually cetre tapped transformers has its own advantages , u can use normal transformer but its depend on application.when there is
a requirement for greater amperage at a given voltage,we use discussed transformers,

now in ur mentioned supply u can see that there is a variable voltage, also it has limit of 2 A current at given voltage, so schemated transformer provide  u desired amperes and voltage , if u use normal then may be it will disturb ur current limitations.

Hi Steve,

Welcome to our forum.

For this PSU you don’t need a tapped transformer you can use a standard one. A non linear PSU is a switch mode power supply. There are many characteristics which are different between them. Try Google “linear vs switch” and you get some interesting hits. ;D

The use of a center tapped transformer and two diodes provides less ripple. A needed feature when you regulate the supply in this manner.

The circuit in your link with two diodes is a full wave rectifier. Using a non center tapped transformer with one leg to common and the other leg to a rectifier diode is known as half wave rectification. In half wave rectification, you will have less positive swings and more ripple. With full wave rectification, you will have more voltage swings and thus, less ripple. This is because of the smoothing effect of the bypass capacitor.
To use a non center tapped transformer, I would not recommend using only one diode for a full wave rectifier. I would recommend using a bridge rectifier instead. However, note that by using a bridge rectifier, the voltage output will be different.

MP

To use a non center tapped transformer, I would not recommend using only one diode for a full wave rectifier. I would recommend using a bridge rectifier instead.

Ante,
I was not implying that 2 diodes are better than 4. Only that 2 are better than 1 in regards to ripple. I also recommended that Steve use a bridge rectifier (4 diodes) if he were not going to use a center tapped transformer. Sorry if I was not clear on that.

MP

MP,

Obviously this is me not interpreting this correctly: “The use of a center tapped transformer and two diodes provides less ripple.”    Less ripple than what? And : “A needed feature when you regulate the supply in this manner.” Which manner is this PSU regulated in?
Further more I do not distinguish between a bridge rectifier and the configuration of four diodes, they are both the same to me.
I assumed by his statement that Steve already knew the different uses four vs two diodes.
Sorry for the inconvenience.

ante,
Completely written while looking at Steve's link. I did not assume from the post that anyone knew what full wave or half wave rectification is, and thus a little explanation. I think the post is explained pretty well if you look at the terms for rectification type. Something anyone should learn if they are going to be making the various types.
My earlier post explains that the two diode setup as in his diagram would be better than deleting the center tap, connecting the other leg to ground and using only one diode (half wave rectification).
I have added a diagram in hopes that this makes it easier for anyone who still needs explanation.

MP

post-555-14279142599962_thumb.jpg

Ante,
I was not implying that 2 diodes are better than 4. Only that 2 are better than 1 in regards to ripple. I also recommended that Steve use a bridge rectifier (4 diodes) if he were not going to use a center tapped transformer. Sorry if I was not clear on that.

I must be loosing it, I can’t find where anybody except you have mentioned one diode. And when using one diode I agree, there is more ripple! :-\

thanks guys.  Yes actualy i know the difference between half wave and fullwave.  And for the guy who said it would not work well, i built this  circuit and obtained good results.

What i wanted to know is that what dirreence in the output one would get when using centre tapped and normal trans.

thanks to all of you.
8)

Hi Steve,
To answer your question: You will see some differences in output, but mostly dependent upon whether you have a capacitor on the output or a resistive load. There is also a difference in the current output for the different types. See below:

MP

post-555-1427914260603_thumb.jpg

Yes I agree, it’s simpler to use and performs much better with its internal reference and feedback.

Hi Ante,
Maybe the circuit was designed before the simple and excellent LM317 was invented.
Maybe LM317's weren't available over there.
My variable voltage power supply has an LM317 in a simple circuit. Its performance doesn't "just give good results", its performance is perfect. ;D

Of course, its current-setting resistor is the proper value of 120 ohms and it has a heatsink. ::)