Electronics-Lab.com Community

Step up 1.5v to 9v converter

I have used in the past a TL496 Iintegrated C. Today in Europe is not an easy task to get one like that because they discontinued that part. So, I need to convert those voltages. Anyone knows how can I accomplih this in an easy way?.

Thanks in advance.

Gus, form Spain

I think your gonna find it very hard to find a PWM that works with a Vcc of 1.5V

There are lots of switchers that will run from 0.7 Volts but with a 9 V output it’s harder to find!
If it is possible to settle for 5.5 or 6.5 Volts the MAX 1674/76, 1700/1701, 1703, 1705/1706, 1708, 1760/1760H, 1763, 1947, and a few more would do the job.
Even though some of these have a voltage divider feedback to set the voltage it’s not recommended to go above 5.5 or 6.5Volts, I wonder why? Could it be loss of performance or what sets the limit here?
Anyone?

If I had to guess, I'd say because of the process used. For example, in the not to distant past, is was almost impossible to get a buck controller that could do 24Vin and 12Vout without all kinds of level shifting circuits. Lot's of PWM's didn't have a problem with the input voltage range, but with the voltage that could be applied to the feedback amp. A lot of them used a 6V process for that part of the die, although Linear Technologies had a few neat tricks to get around that limitation on certain chips.

Hi indulis,

I think you got a point there.
Since Gus does not reveal the amount of current he needs at 9Volts I’m not really sure where we stand here?
If only a few mA are needed it might be possible to use cap / diode step-up right after a MAX1674 chip!