Electronics-Lab.com Community

DC Panel meter read errors on charger

Hi,

I'm new to the Forum so be kind please.
I have a battery charger I built from a schematic I found a long time ago. Basically it's a transformer, bridge, filter caps, LM350K regulator circuit with an op-amp stage and current sense resistor.
It works fine charging my lead-acid batteries.

I wanted to add a DC panel meter to watch the charge progress, so I took a really cheap far-east type multimeter and hacked it. Instead of the battery I added to it a simple bridge, filter caps and a 7809 regulator. The multimeter ac source is coming from the same ac transformer which powers the charger.
I jumpered the required pads on the multimeter to lock it into the correct mode and range I want.

The DC meter works fine as long as I'm measuring anything besides the charger voltage.
As soon as I measure the output voltage of the charger, the meter fluctuates all over the place.

I was hoping to overcome the "floating ground" problem by taking the meters dc power feed from the transfomer, but it doesn't work right.

Can I get some advice?

Thanks.

The meter and charger don't share a common supply ground.
The only part they have in common is the ac transformer secondary.

Then they aren't completely separate.

How is this done in a tradtional power supply with digital readout?

With a separate winding on the transformer to power the meters.
Or their circuit is designed for reading only a positive voltage then the negative input is the same as its 0V supply.

If you got some space on top of the transformers winding you can add an extra winding here. Use any thin insulated wire and start with say 10 turns then measure what voltage these 10 turns gives you, the rest is mathematics a rectifier and a few more parts.
Another possible way is to build a small galvanic insulated DC-DC converter.

If you got some space on top of the transformers winding you can add an extra winding here. Use any thin insulated wire and start with say 10 turns then measure what voltage these 10 turns gives you, the rest is mathematics a rectifier and a few more parts.

I looked at my transformer and I don't think I'll be able to do that although I like the suggestion.
I'll try to remember it.

Another possible way is to build a small galvanic insulated DC-DC converter.

This sounds interesting.
I've never heard of a galvanic DC-DC converter.
I'll look it up and see if it's something I can implement.
It's either that or buying a new transformer.

Thanks for the help.