Electronics-Lab.com Community

Hall effect sensor bypassing?

Hi guys,
i'm trying to reverse engineer and alter (not for any profit or gain of course) a part of my car.

This particular PCB contains a hall effect sensor which are new to me. From what I understand is the sensor allows a greater flow of electrons through it as a magnetic field passes it.

the questions I have, if I may are:
do the sensors ever become 100% efficient and allow all the current flow through or is there always a loss?
is it possible to bypass the sensor with a switch?

From what I can fathom out is that the sensor output is monitored to a certain degree and when the current rises to, or above, a certain level, the circuit will switch. From that I assume that connecting the input voltage to the output pin via a switch would allow a fake signal to be generated to the switching part of the circuit.

It would great if anyone could confirm, deny or help with this.

The hall effect sensors are, I believe, unipolar, 4 pin (dual earth) IC's. The number on the top is 41E if that is any help.

Thanks in advance to anyone who can help.

The hall sensor lets flow current distributed in a large area. The material has a definated resistance. The sensor is wasting power an so where is always a voltage.

Its easy to measure the resistants of the hallsensor by checking the power loss, if you test it with a magnet.

I know two Kinds of Hall Effect sensors...

One type are a Switch like UGN3113 that if they sens a specific value of Flux they switch on a Open-Collector Output.

The other type are Linear like UGN3503 that their output is a linear voltage depending on Sensed Flux.

Maybe this can help you to solve your problem

HTH - Shahriar

What part of this is controlled by the Hall effect sensor? Is it the automatic clutching part? It would be good if you could get a schematic. If not, you can put a voltmeter across the input and output to see what voltage drop you have between engaged and not engaged. This will tell you if it is being used as a basic on-off switch. It will also help you determine the loss for both positions.

MP

It is literally used to change gears, the underside of the gear lever passes over the hall sensors and depending on which one it passes, it will change up or down.

I will try your suggestion of measuring the output with and without, I can only assume that introducing the correct voltage to the output will fool the system into switching.