Electronics-Lab.com Community

A/C switching through PC

Hi all

Am working on a project for switching air conditioner A/C on and off through PC. The main idea is to use PC parallel port to switch  the A/C. I have designed a circuit (schematic attached). As i have no experience of playing with [glow=red,2,300]mains[/glow]. So i need some comments/advise on this circuit will it work and how to make it safe.

Thanks all

Circuit.JPG

post-46604-14279143919179_thumb.jpg

That will work, assuming the opto-isolator is rated to carry the relay current.

It seems a bit overkill to use both an opto-isolator and a relay.

I would have used either an opto-TRIAC triggering a TRIAC or a transistor and relay.

Relays are more fail safe than TRIACs but have the disadvantage of requiring a power supply. An opto TRIAC triggering a TRIAC can take all the power it requires from the parallel port.

That will work, assuming the opto-isolator is rated to carry the relay current.

It seems a bit overkill to use both an opto-isolator and a relay.

I would have used either an opto-TRIAC triggering a TRIAC or a transistor and relay.

Relays are more fail safe than TRIACs but have the disadvantage of requiring a power supply. An opto TRIAC triggering a TRIAC can take all the power it requires from the parallel port.

So you mean that i should use opto triac like MOC 30XX....... and another TRIAC with it? Y 2 TRIACz?