Electronics-Lab.com Community

Infrared cordless Headphone Amplifier help please

I was looking at the Infrared cordless Headphone Amplifier project to build, from this page - http://www.electronics-lab.com/projects/audio/016/index.html

The only part of the circuit that I couldn't make sense of is the audio input in Fig 1.  There's something that looks like a transformer, but there are no values given for windings or inputs/outputs.  Can anyone explain what's going on here?

Also has anyone built this? did it work?

I really appreciate any help,
Thanks

Nope.
It is a hopeless circuit designed by somebody who knows nothing about electronics.
The first transistor in the transmitter is not even biased! It rectifies instead of amplifying.
Have you ever heard a rectified audio signal? It has more than severe distortion.

The red LED in the transmitter clamps the modulating signal so it is almost nothing.

The IR receiver is a good choice if you want to hear mains hum from incandescent light bulbs.
It causes DC current in the headphones which is bad because it might destroy them.

Most IR communications use an FM modulated ultrasonic carrier.

I have seen this circuit before on a website in India where no circuits work.

I looked in Google for Infrared FM Headphones Circuit and found many circuits.
Most use AM instead of FM and some are similar to the one you found that won't work.

For the FM transmitter, the VCO of a CD4046 phase-locked-loop IC is used and another CD4046 is used as an FM detector.