Electronics-Lab.com Community

Active load circuit 5-8A

Hello.

I need an active load with current control to test my power supply (PSU is project here http://www.electronics-lab.com/projects/power/001/index.html)

I found schematic
17_1242580002.gif

But I contacted autor and he told me it's generally bad idea to copy becase it's not stable enough. He told me that the best way to avoid this problem is to delete IC2A and set voltage divider 1:22 on positive input of the IC2B.

But then, how would the schematic look like?
53_1282578775_thumb.png

But i've got some other ideas. First of all i would like to replace voltage reference with LM317 (I've got 10 of those).

I think of replacing BC transistors by the pair of 547B/557B or 550C/560C, because i've got many of those. Is this good idea?

And finally i would like to replace FET transistor by any other I would find in ATX power supply (I've got like 50 and I think i might find some replacemant that could handle 10A.

I will of course do schematic in eagle but i need some help with this. Is there a place where I can measure voltage and calculate current limit? I think it should be close to the 5W resistor.

Thanks for the help in advance

Sorry for my mistakes, English is not my first language.