Electronics-Lab.com Community

Stereo Power Supply Core Problem

beach_boy90

Okay so I built a power supply from an old MOT for my car stereo so i could use it in my room. My question is, is why does the core get really hot after like 10 minutes of use. The primary and secondary windings remain cool to the touch, but the core itself becomes really hot after more than just a few minute of use. What could be causing this?

The core is supposed to be laminated in many layers and the layers must be insulated from each other with enamel paint or something.

Maybe you scratched the laminations and caused them to be shorted together. Then eddy current flow in them and cause heating.

A microwave oven transformer is made as cheap as is possible. Since they never operate continuously then they do not have enough windings on their primary.

• 2 weeks later...

Are you sure you don't have a shorted turn?

Did you touch the primary? You should leave it as is.

Does it get hot off load?

Measure the primary and secondary current.

Is there DC in the secondary? You should always use a full wave rectifier with a transformer powering a high power circuit, never a single diode or a voltage doubler to get a bipolar output.

Please post the schematic.

No there isn't a short

I never messed with it

I recently blew the fuse in my meter and I haven't been able to get a new one so I can't measure current

and I used a full wave bridge and a 14,000 uF capacitor to help filter it a bit, though I honk it's too low of a value to due any real good...