Electronics-Lab.com Community

Power supply short circuit protection.

Guest sbrutfl

Guest sbrutfl

Hello people!

I'm new here, I've been lurking the forum for the past year or so, and finally built my power supply based on one of the last revisions (May 2011 IIRC edit: it was Rev02, March 11, 09) of the 3A version.

Now, I've been looking for a short circuit protection to add an extra layer of security, and I stumbled upon this:

electronics - lab . com /projects/power/022/index.html

(sorry for the spaces, the forum says "Sorry, you are not allowed to post external links." but it's a project hosted here)

but it doesn't seem very clear (and reliable) to me (especially the voltage supplied to the opamp, ways higher than what the datasheet allows).

Can someone suggest an effective way to protect the power supply from short circuits (maybe with a resettable relay or whatever)?

Thank you very much  :D

Guest liquibyte

electronics-lab.com/projects/power/022/index.html

(sorry for the spaces, the forum says "Sorry, you are not allowed to post external links." but it's a project hosted here)

It's a new anti-spam measure.  Once you hit a certain post level you'll be able to post links.  I've tested this with a setup of SMF I had going for awhile to see if it worked and would be a good fit here.  I think if you keep the http and www off of the link you should be able to avoid the spaces like I did with it in the above quote.

Why was this garbage circuit posted as a project here? It is without an explanation of how to connect it and how it works.
Maybe its author built the power supply but its current regulation did not work. Instead of asking for help to fix it in the forum then he posted this garbage circuit instead?

I think you'll have to take that up with mixos.  As far as I know, he's the only one that posts the projects because I'm not aware of anyone else with administrative rights.  I did take a look at it and you're right, it is very confusing and doesn't seem a good fit for a stand alone project considering that the one that has been fixed works fine without doing something like this.

Guest sbrutfl

It's a new anti-spam measure.  Once you hit a certain post level you'll be able to post links.  I've tested this with a setup of SMF I had going for awhile to see if it worked and would be a good fit here.  I think if you keep the http and www off of the link you should be able to avoid the spaces like I did with it in the above quote.

Oh, ok, no problem then :)

Anyway, does someone know an effective way to protect this power supply from the short circuit?

Anyway, does someone know an effective way to protect this power supply from the short circuit?

The corrected latest version reliably regulates the maximum current to be 3.0A. Then an additional protection circuit is not needed.

Buy name-brand parts from an honest electronic parts distributor, not cheap fake junk from ebay and the project will work fine.

Guest sbrutfl

The corrected latest version reliably regulates the maximum current to be 3.0A. Then an additional protection circuit is not needed.

Buy name-brand parts from an honest electronic parts distributor, not cheap fake junk from ebay and the project will work fine.

Good, thank you very much for your help :)