Electronics-Lab.com Community

TELEPHONE blaster

thunder

Hi Thunder,
You've been watching too many cartoons.
In the olden days, a switchboard operator connected your phone directly to the other guy's wires. You probably could have sent a few thousand volts to him and fry him and his phone. I don't know when the telco added lightning arrestors to the wires, probably right after the 1st lightning storm.
Today there is so much electronic equipment in between that you are lucky to send as high as 1V to him. You can't blast him with a loud sound either, they have amplitude limiters.

Just phone him and tell him to hang-up after this call and to hold the bare wires. Then call him back. The 90VAC ringing signal should give him a good jolt! Try it with dry hands, its fun. 20Hz really vibrates.

Hi Thunder,
U R welcome.
In my era (about 40 years ago) I made many free long-distance pay-phone calls by grounding the transmitter (microphone) for a moment with a paper-clip! After a few years when the telco saw what was happening, they changed the wiring in a hurry. ;D

My home is one of the few remaining without touch-tone service on my phone line. I have always refused to pay the telco 6 bucks/month extra for that "free" service, and a few years ago I won a lawsuit when they tried to force me.
My phones (and modem when I had dialup) electronically go "clickety-click" (rotary-dial pulses) but after the other end answers, I can switch my phones to touch-tone and jump thru menu's and do my banking like everyone else. In 40 years I have saved about $2880.00. ;D

Hi Ante,
Yeah, I won big-time over my telco. A bunch of us oldies got together in a class-action law-suit, and proved in court that touch-tone actually saves the telco from having to install more "dialing registers" saving them money, because a register is used quickly and is available sooner for the next guy. Therefore charging extra for touch-tone service was proven to be a rip-off but the people with touch-tone can't be bothered to sue for their money back.
Now, when you order a new phone line, the extra touch-tone fee is built-in and you can't have rotary-dial service.