Electronics-Lab.com Community

PC Oscilloscope

I'm also interested in making one of these, but out of fear of frying my soundcard I'm hesitant. Does anyone possibly have a schematic for one which makes the use of an optoisolator? I don't anticipat working on anything which requires more than 18v (for the circuit) that I'd need to test so I think there must be a simple way of making an isolating interface. If someone has a link or schematic it would be much appreciated. ;D Me = newbie :-\

Thanks

Thanks for the reply Dazza but the link's either broken or the server's down... I'll try it again tonight. Although I really don't think I need anything very complex, just a small circuit to isolate the soundcard/PC from the test circuit.

I'm too new to oscilloscopes to know what can and can't be done in order to keep a clean signal, so if anyone else has a schematic it'd be deeply appreciated. I think this is what the initial poster HelpMe wanted as well.

Thanks! ;D

Hi CRE,

I am also wanting the same thing :D, something not too complicated and most importantly, I can be confident it won't damage my computer. I amended the link I posted so now you can just click on it, but it's still not working :( hopefully it comes good because it's worth checking out. I would have seriously considered putting it together, if it wasn't so expensive to make >:(. The most appealing part to me, was that it had the PCB pattern and components overlay, as well as very good detailed information for construction.

Is an optoisolator out of the question? I figure you'd need to add some sort of control to adjust the gain on the transistor side of it and how about the sensors? Do they have to supply any voltage or signal or is everything supplied by the test circuit? In which case you really just need to make sure that signal is attenuated enough for the emitter side to handle. But are optoisolators responsive enough?

Hi 4 everyone. Why u dont try to make it by your selfe. See attach for example. I think that will do a job. In worst case u can damige a diode. But thay are cheap ;). Sound card is practicaly isolated from source because input resistance of op.amp. is, theoreticaly, infinite. Only defect is low speed of response and, of course, low frequency band. I think that is 44khz for n-vidia sound cards, but I, also, think that will not work over, lets say, 30khz. I am going to project a very good interface for it with big frequency bandwidth and lots more... :) I will send it here when/if I do that.

atenuator_4_digital_osciloscope.zip

well, if a few other want to verify the design I'll give it a shot on my backup PC.... I'll also need to know where to get software for SuSe Linux though. I'm not trying anything untested on my main PC. Theory is one thing.... I've had a lot of them.... ;D The product can sometimes be quite different, trust me. :-[

But yeah if someone else would please look this over and verify whether it's safe for use (at least with low voltage circuits 1-18v) I'll give it a try and post my results.

But if you're working on something better..... well. ;)

My Objectives is to design n construct hardware for data acquisition, to interface the PIC microcontroller input, then medium through RS232.
design a windows based application capable of displaying low-frq waveforms in real-time. Does anyone have any experience on these set up?

• 2 weeks later...

hey guys! i found out my project consists of 2 stages- Hardware and Software.
For hardware stage... consists of interfacing the analog to digital converter(ADC) with the PC through the parallel port(RS232).
For software stage... It's is a DOS based software written in the 'C' language.
Do you guys have any ideas of setting up the hardware? thanks in advance.

• 2 weeks later...