Electronics-Lab.com Community

Need help with really simple thing!

hyaku_

Hello!
I need a little help! I'm really new to electronics! Please take a look at this picture:

That C1! How is it called? when I connect my led with C1 and battery, it only flashes once and then only flashes second time, if I disconnect and connect wires again! What is the point of this C1? Thank you!

Hi hyaku_

You do realize that you have a NPN(Q1) and PNP(Q2) transistors?. C1 is an electrolytic capacitor polarised,(+ and -).
D1 and your LED are also polarised. If you have connected one of your transistors incorrectly it may be damaged.

More than likely you have made a connection error ;).

I hope this helps :).

Guest Yevgenip

C1 is a component called a capacitor(cap for short). The simplest capacitor is non-polorized and consists basicly of two metal plates that are seperated by a thin layer of non-conducting material. It is capable of storing energy and releasing it. It's capacitance is measured with Farads. One Farad is the capacitance of such a capacitor that a voltage of one volt over it will create a charge of one Colon in it. That is a lot so we use mF, uF, nF and pF.
An electrolytic capacitor is similar, only it is polorized.

Hope I Helped! ;D
Capacitor-def.jpg