Electronics-Lab.com Community

3-colours LED Solar Lights

audioguru

Hi Guys,
I finally bought some solar garden lights. Hey, they are new and were on sale for about 11 bucks. I can't make them so cheap and look and work as well.

They aren't the expensive brushed nickel ones my neighbour has. Those ones light an amber LED very dimly for only a couple of hours each night.

My new ones are a clear cracked glass globe about 125mm diameter on a stainless steel rod about 1m long. Half-way on the rod is a pretty big solar cell wth the electronics and rechargable battery. Inside the globe is an RGB LED and the electronics slowly brightens a colour up to very bright then slowly dims it back down. Then the next colour followed by the next. The cracks in the glass makes neat patterns. Cool!
They run all night and are still bright at dawn. They sync about every half hour. ;D 

Hi Ante,
My neighbours stay up all night watching my LEDs while I sleep. ;D
Hey, I received a laser pointer gift for Father's Day! It's in the end of a stainless steel pen with an ultra-bright blue LED. I thought the laser would burn my skin or make me feel some warmth, but no, it only produces a dot of red that goes very far. My dog goes crazy chasing the red dot around. ;D ;D

Hi Tnk,
Yeah, those button cells don't last very long when they are used to drive LEDs, like those little keyring LED flashlights. You can watch them dim as the battery runs down.

I got a laser and ultra-bright LED pen for Fathers Day and its 3 little button cells don't show any sign of running down yet.

I got a little fan that is powered by two AAA cells. I use Ni-MH rechargable cells which get quite warm powering it, and their charge doesn't last long. I just measured its current: 1.2A from 2.4V! It blows nearly 3W of hot air! ;D ;D

• 2 weeks later...