Electronics-Lab.com Community

Windshield Washer Fluid Heater

Hi kayaker,

A cheaper way to heat the fluid is using 10 extra feet of washer hose. Connect the extra hose between the pump and the nozzles and wind it around a radiator hose, secure it with a couple of clamps and if you like insulate it on top to increase the efficiency. If the space allows you can use 20 or 30 feet of hose.

Hi Audioguru,

One hour! :o  I didn’t mean a firehose just a normal washer hose with 4 mm i.d.! :D
About 15s or so unless you have a Ford or the old kind of rubber bladder on the floor. ;D
Don’t let it run dry; just fill it up when the computer display tells you to.

Here they use a lot of salt on the roads following a snowstorm. I could use 4 liters of squirt just on a single drive across the city. The computer doesn't say how much remains. Sure it runs dry! Just the metre or two of hose from the tank to the blades takes quite a long time to refill.

Do Saabs have tanks and pumps mounted right on your blades??
Do they have turbo-charged pumps??

Hi Audioguru,

The computer does not show how much is left but gives a warning when about 2 liters remains. My car uses the same tank for windscreen and the headlamp cleaning and both runs from the same impulse. I fill the tank once a week at this time of the year; I drive about 450 km every week. Only a few times I have run out and it takes less than 5s to run it through after filling, but I don’t have the extra 30 feet hose trick on mine.

“Do Saabs have tanks and pumps mounted right on your blades??
Do they have turbo-charged pumps??”

Wouldn’t that be stupid? Are you sober Audioguru? ;D ;D

Another suggestion might be: add a second pump (circulation pump) and loop the 30’ hose back to the tank as a separate heating circuit. Some electronics and a temp sensor can keep the fluid temperature at a desired level! ;)

...Actually the "HotShot" fluid heater heats up to 150 deg F so I guess the 115 deg will work just fine.

I would still try to create a separate smaller resivour so that heating and battery use is minimal.  A temperature sensor and on/off switch would also be usefull.

Maybe using a stainless steel thermose would do!

Do you think the pump pressure will be the same??

alternatively I may have a stainless steel 35mm roll film developer canister and some thermal rubber insulation that could wirk for free! I also have an old Digital indoor/outdoor thermometer I could use to monitor the Temp with.

The old Hot tub heating aparatice may be too large for my purposes, It used to runn off of 220V AC, I wonder what 12VDC would do with about 30oz of water!?!?

Thanks for all the ideas