Electronics-Lab.com Community

Phototransistor circuit

Hi all

I am trying to build a basic phototransistor circuit.

Objective: to sense small variations of light and translate them to a voltage variation.

I have seen many circuits on the internet, and none shows where the base is connected to?? already got a phototransistor, and it got 3 pins (B-C-E), so where should i connect the base to??

Plus, does any of you have a nice circuit that can be useful to me? Because it is the first time i deal with phototransistors...

Any help would be apreciated...

NB: please keep in mind that im trying to build a sensor that can detect SMALL variations of light...

Thank you.

Hi,
yes in the internet has a many circuite diagram, you can look at www.national.com ot wwwintersil.com, and also www.analog.com, in this website you can see different aplication notes.
You must have a minde that phototransistor is more sensitive, compared with a photodiode, and is a very easy to saturate it. Base yuo can leave not connected, but with the base you can compensate some problem with saturation, and with a noise.

Hey, didn't I made a posting to this topic, why have that been removed? Hey, moderators, why?

//Staigen

Hi Staigen,
Your post wasn't deleted. Jumbo posted his question on 3 different forums here and you and I are answering him on different forums. I think the moderators should combine all posts that are the same. While they are at it, the moderators should get rid of the guy who is selling his pcbs on our forums.

• 1 month later...