Electronics-Lab.com Community

6v drill battery

The battery details are, as written on it.
Shengwel
Valve regulated battery
3fm4.5 (6v4.5ah/20hr)

Constant Voltage Charge
Cycle use: 7.20-7.50v
standby use. 6.75-6.90
Initial current. less than 1.2a
--------------------
Now this battery dont seem to handle the charge like it used to, anyway to improve it a bit within a charger?
Thanks ante

Hi Stuee,
The battery sounds like a lead-acid gell-cell, almost like a car battery except 6V. They have a limited lifespan that is shortened if the battery is deeply discharged. Maybe its life is nearly over.
It was probably designed to start the gas motor of a small scooter.

Pick one up the next time you are in China, or you could replace it with 5 heavy-duty (4A/hr or more) Ni-Cad or Ni-MH "D" cells.

Stuee,

If you have a bench power supply with adjustable current limit you can try the following: Set the output voltage to 6.9Volts turn down the current limit to zero, switch off the power supply, connect the battery (mind the polarity), switch on and set the current limit to 1 A. If everything is ok the battery will be charged over night.

Hi Stuee,
Over here (actually, up here), we go fishing in a boat and I thought that you do too. Up here, a torch has a flame and burns fuel. If we need light at night we use a flashlight. Maybe you Aussies burn batteries instead! ;D

I've seen people in their boats at night fishing with either a flame or an electric light to attract the fish. I don't know why the light attracts the fish. Maybe they figure, "There's light on the surface, let's go up and see if it's Stuee". ;D

On the serious side, be careful with batteries that have sulfuric acid.

And that goes for you, too, Dazza.
Be careful with your hydrogen. You don't want an H-bomb.
Up here, hydrogen rises hecause it is lighter than air. Down under, which way does it go? ;D

G'day mates!

Back in the early days many many moons ago, we used a stick with some cloth wrapped around one end, soaked in oil so it would burn, it was called the torch, it helped us find our way to the Dunny without tripping over ;D. Then it was replaced by the light globe, so we also call this a torch because it also helped us find our way to the Dunny 8).

So what happened to your torch up there, can you still find your way to the dunny, with just a flash? ??? ;D ;D ;D ;)

Lol.
i should change the topic to the comedy topic.
Back to the first thing, this battery after i opened the small cover caps, it was half full , so i topped it up with distilled water that i got from the car. i stuck it on a small 300ma 6v power supply, and it started charging a little.
No is there any way i can make a charger for the car..
this light is like 1mil candle power and very usefull when u have a gun and rabbits / roos are around :D

That's right dunny, it was also known as the Thunderbox. And yes we to now have running water, and a new gizmo called a shower. Now we don't have to saddle up the Wallabies to hop down to the creek for a bath.

It's amazing the technology these days :o.

Audioguru, it's good to have a laugh every now and then, cheers ;)

Hi Stuee,
It's no wonder that you don't have a boat. You're fishing for rabbits and roos with a gun!
You could make a charger for your 6V battery which is powered from your 12V car. Just use an LM317 adjustable regulator. It can supply a little more than 1A, but will get pretty hot and will need a medium heatsink. Adjust its output to 6.9V. Make another with a 230VAC transformer for your house.

Hi Dazza,
It's fun to entertain you and I have a smile on my face.
I'm not laughing, just wondering about Dunnies, Thunderboxes, Roos, Wallabies and fishing for those strange animals.
Ohmygod things are different down under since everthing is upside-down!

G'day again.

Hi Ante,
It is improbable, but maybe Stuee was correct by replacing his battery's acid solution, maybe it leaked or drained away. More likely it boiled or evaporated away and he should have used real water.
What happens to a lead-acid battery with too much acid anyway?

I dunno who is Ohmygod. My daughter says it all the time when she gets excited.
I'll ask her.

Those Aussies are so different that I'm still smiling about them being upside-down. I know many people who have visited there, and some who moved there and never came back. But I have never met a true blue(?) Australian. I guess they stay there and never leave.

Oh yes, you would fit in nicely here audioguru 8), you have the humour that is important, you just have to learn the lingo. Then I could give you all my failed projects, for you to fix for me ;D. That would give ante a well deserved break, from helping me with my projects :P.

Yes it does take a little getting used to, being upside down and all ;D.

I have seen so many car batteries, wasted from not checking the water/sulphuric acid level. They can dry out very fast in the Australian climate. And these so-called sealed led acid car batteries, the only difference I can see is that you can't take the caps off easily to check the water level, I think it's just a con, so they fail sooner >:(.

Hi Dazza,
Are you inviting me to visit down under? Thanks, but I can't swim that far.
When I cross the time/date line, won't I have to start all over again?

Sure I can help you, and Ante can too. Also invite him. He doesn't need a break yet and we'll all have a great time being upside-down.

Car batteries are getting better and last longer partially because they are sealed. I've noticed that their increased life follows their increased price.

Maybe the batteries are sealed down under just to keep your Roos and Wallabies from drinking the stuff. And you thought it was evaporating. Strange animals that are seen nowhere else.
Up here we have squirrels running around. They are small and don't bother anyone, except for a missing tulip or two.
Don't you have skunks? A very strong, fowl smell.
How about bats? I've got some flying around my home every evening. I'm going to make an audio downconverter so I can hear their ultrasonics. ;D

Thankfully no skunks. We do have bats, their called flying foxes/fruit bats fairly large, we do have a few colonies here in Bundaberg, and they litter the sky late in the afternoon. When I lived up north Townsville area, when I was very young we use to go camping at a place called Rocky ponds, when the bats came over late in the afternoon you could not see in any direction, where they started or ended. They were so thick at times it would go dark, and I'm not kidding. My father would take a couple of shots at them with a 22 calibre rifle, as soon as you heard the rifle go off, the bat that he was aiming for would circle the bullet :o. That's some mighty fine radar equipment 8).

I am a big nature fan, and I would love to be able to listen in on the bats ultrasonics, I hope you are planning on posting that circuit on these forms somewhere ;D.

Ok ive found this in the shed. can i convert it....?
ITs a Arlec CB146 Ni-CD DC Car Fast Charger for battery packs.

Details.
Negitive delta peak charger with auto switching Fast / normal

Reset by connecting new ni-cd pack
40 min safety timer
Electronic protection from short circuit, overloads or wrong polarity..

Fast charge current -5A
Normal charge current- 320mA
For 6-7 cells. 1,2Ah (16 mins) -3Ah(40mins)
7.2v - 8.4v

Could i use this and mabey stick a resistor to bring it down to 6v 1A
is so what should i use,,
Thanks for all your help so far in this Funny but epic journy.

Hey by the way i came over to aus from the uk 3 years ago so i know what its like on both sides of the world. and i must say, the blood isnt rushing to my head :D