Electronics-Lab.com Community

6v drill battery

Hi Stuee,
So you're really a Brit. Have you settled into being an Aussie yet?
Maybe all the blood leaked out of your head 3 years ago. ;D

That's a really nice Ni-Cad fast charger that you found, but it isn't suitable for your battery's chemistry. If you simply add a resistor to its output, it might laugh and put out 5A anyway. You might get splattered with acid. :'(

That LM317 project will work fine to charge your battery. Use a pot for R2 to adjust its output voltage to 6.9V, and use a fairly large heatsink on the LM317.

Hi Dazza,
Tony Van Roon's circuits are good (his university is my nearby one) and thanks for the link that I lost. The 2nd circuit would be perfect to charge Stuee's battery but it needs a regulated 10V input.
It would be difficult to get regulated 10V from a 12V car batt. ???

I'm still thinking about a downconverter to hear bat noises. I doubt that they'll speak to me, probably just abrupt sonar "chirps". Maybe I'll go one step further and "FM-detect" their noises. ;)

I just finished another new project. If I figure-out how to use my son's camera, I'll post it today. ;D ;D ;D

:)audio guru ive got the circuits for the ultrasonic bat detecter some where, i used to live in queensland australia and have seen large friut bats , even one with a wing span of 5ft from wing tip to wing tip, and and when i was a kid i was standing in the back yard watching a line of bats fly over in a strait line and about 20 feet wide and a kilometer long so silent and flying strait right over our house and there was hundreads and thousands of them, my uncle used to wrap tinsell, thats the stuff you put around your christmass tree, around his paw paw tree to deflect the friut bats radar so they cant home in on his paw paw tree

Hi Dazza,
Stuee's battery doesn't need 3A, it is rated for, "Initial current: less than 1.2A". An LM317 with this low input voltage will easily provide 1.2A (It reduces its output current with an input to output voltage more than 15V).
For the circuit you posted that needs a 10V regulated supply, an LM350 or LM317 "drops-out" with a 12V input and a 10V output and therefore operates poorly. Stuee might forget to start the engine to boost the voltage up to where they regulate properly.

My eyes and nose are skunk detectors. My new project was posted yesterday. It is unique, works very well and it and its pics have a link on our home page. Have a look.