Electronics-Lab.com Community

Correct hall effect switch usage

Hello all. I had a quick question.
I have a 4510 counter I made that uses a button and Schmitt trigger to count. What I am hoping to do is replace the button and trigger with a OH090U HALL EFFECT switch (has an internal schmitt trigger) but can't seem to get it to work. The counter works with the push button but when I install the hall effect switch it won't count. Is there something I am missing? How much current is required to make the counter acknowledge "high"?(The hall effect switch put out about 10-12mA when I tested it) Any help is greatly appreciated.

I got the idea fro this project from this site:
http://members.shaw.ca/roma/up-down.html

Thanks in advance,
Ryan

Ok, looking close at the specs of the hall effect switch, it has an average output voltage of 100mA. I suppose that is not enough to power the ic. Does anyone have any idea what type of amplifier I should use and any times on how it would be installed? Again, any help would be greatly appreciated. I am new to the circuit world and I need all the help I can muster.

Thanks in advance,
Ryan

Hi Ryan,
The datasheet for your hall-effect sensor shows that it has an open-collector transistor on its output. That transistor does nothing without a collector resistor to the positive supply. Even if you added a collector resistor, your circuit needs a high input like is provided by the pushbutton, but the hall-effect sensor's output will be active-low.
Maybe you could re-arrange the pushbutton transistor to be an inverter and to provide a collector resistor to the hall-effect sensor.

Good news, I got it to work over the weekend. What I didn't notice is that the hall effect switch pulls down and not up as I had belived. So, I replaced the push button with the hall effect switch and changes the 2N2222 NPN transistor to a Radio Shack 3906 PNP and it worked. Hurray!! Thanks for your help Suraj.

Ryan

Thanks AudioGuru, looks like we posted about a minute apart. The terminology is all new to me. When I read the data sheet, I didn't know what "Pull-Down" meant exactlly until I hooked up some LEDs and figured out that the hall effect switch simply allows the circut to ground out. Slowly, I learn what the heck I am doing. Thanks for the help and patience.