Electronics-Lab.com Community

How do I solder SMD components with a regular iron

Dido

Hello,

I really need help I broke my Sony Walkman and I found out that the left channel is not working because of one 8 ohm small SMD resistor so I`m thinking of soldering a new one but the problem is that these resistors are even smaller than the regular SMD types.

Pls for help If someone has got experience with SMD components.

Ok

The iron I`m using is a 25Watt one but I remove the "hooter" of the iron and I put a 1.5mm thick copper wire without the isolation sharpen in the end.That`s how I usually solder these components.

I have experienced with electronics very much but I haven`t had such a problem until now.

These IC`s are very sensitive so you shouldn`t solder them with a 230V iron.I use a 6V one but if you don`t like to spend so much money you can try this way

1. You wait for the iron to get hotter
2. You turn it off and start soldering
when the iron gets cold you turn it on again and like that.......

Ok

The iron I`m using is a 25Watt one but I remove the "hooter" of the iron and I put a 1.5mm thick copper wire without the isolation sharpen in the end.That`s how I usually solder these components.

I have experienced with electronics very much but I haven`t had such a problem until now.

It is a nice idea but the copper wire will stick with solder and may mess up your work......

My experience is to use sharp solder iron (25W is fine) + thin solder (0.6mm) + tweezer + solder paste , then everything will be nice. But somehow beware of the solder stick to adjacent components' pads.

Posted by: sasi Posted on: Today at 03:14:48am

Your question was

"How do I solder SMD components with a regular iron"

Are you using a 6V iron regularly ?

Dear sasi

I think that a regular iron means an iron with a regular "hooter" thick 4,5 mm that`s what I mean with this.

• 2 months later...

:)if your soldering tiny parts the use of a thin or fine tip , low tempiture soldering iron is usefull and a pair of tweezers to hold the part in place, you will need some fine soldering wire to help, you can allso use blue tac to hold a tiny part in place till you solder it. the blue tac will get soft from the heat but when it cools you can remove it with another peace of blue tac

• 2 weeks later...