Electronics-Lab.com Community

How two use this transformer for PSU.

I'm not sure how I can use this transformer it has, 10.5V(9.5A) 0V 10.5V(9.5A), what output V and A can I get?. 12VDC would be ideal, with 9.5A or more would be good, I have made some sparks trying to work it out, so I thought I'd better ask the experts before I do some damage.
I want to use it to power my cordless drill and screwdriver, it would also be very handy for my hydrogen experiments.
I made this power supply from Electronic Lab, 3-30 V/2.5 A Stabilized power supply.
Would I be able to modify it to use for this purpose, I only need to control the voltage

Thanks in advance.http:%7Boption%7D

post-2744-14279141967915_thumb.jpg

:)dazza that looks a bit similiar to one ive seen in a high voltage bug zapper , i looked at years ago, it had a high voltage multiplier and this wierd transformer like the one you posted , i geuss you could try finding the primary of it by setting your multimeter to low ohms and use that to find it if you do, the other wires may be the outputs, if ive got it right , i used that to find the primary for a toriodal transformer as exsplained to my by an electronics tech over the phone, long time ago i hope i remember it corectly

Hi steven, I have no worries working out the primary and secondaries its written on it ;D. What I'm not sure about is the secondaries, there is 2 x 10.5V 9.5A what voltage and ampere output can I achieve and how?

The transformer was used for electrolysis ;), for producing chlorine for a saltwater swimming pool. My neighbour gave me the device, and he said that the transformer had failed but it was one of the power transistors, I offered to fix it for him but he wanted to buy a new chlorine maker, I'll call it that because I don't know the proper name of the device.

Hi ante, ok great extremely useful, what I would like to try to do, is be able to switch between 10.5V @ 19A and 21V @ 9.5A, it's fairly straightforward to achieve this, I just have to make sure that whatever I use for the switching can handle the high current.

I just need some help to modify the circuit to be able to very the voltage and handle the high current. For starters D1 will have to be upgraded that one is easy. I don't know how many power transistors I'll need?? and can I simply parallel them. R5 will have to be fairly hefty what should I use here?. Also I'll have to beef up the PCB tracks.

This project will be a real asset for my hydrogen experiments :D,

Thank you for your help,Steven,Ante :).

I discovered why I ran into problems trying to work out what A and V I could achieve, there was a short between the two wires that were insulated together. Once I separated them no sparks, when trying to configure them ;D. Pretty thick of me, I should have realised ::).

Thank you everyone for your help :),