Electronics-Lab.com Community

Transformer ratings?

Guest Kasamiko

Guest Kasamiko

I got this audio amp without its power transformer. Based on the rectifier and capacitor connection it uses a CENTER-TAPPED transformer of about 3.5 amp.
Now my problem is, what might be the approximate secondary AC output (unloaded) of the transformer? The secondary filter capacitors are rated at 4,700uF/35VDC. Is it safe to assume an 18-0-18 volts secondary? ???
The output transistor used are TIP41 and TIP42..
Any help will be appreciated. ;D

rhonn ;) ;)

Hi Kevin,
We don't always get 120VAC on the mains. At home and at work, the voltage varies from 115V to 125V.

You also don't get a voltage out of a transformer that is the same as its rating. Since a transformer's windings have resistance, its output voltage changes with loading, so a 50VAC rated transformer could have an output of 55 or 60V with a light load.

You can't judge the voltage requirement of a circuit by the voltage rating of its capacitors. The voltage rating of the capacitors is frequently doubled, for longer life. You must also consider the voltage, current and power dissipation ratings of its transistors and resistors.

If the transformer was rated at 50VAC at full load with a 120V input, the rectified DC output could be as high as 43.5V, which would blow-up the capacitors and transistors, and maybe burn the resistors.
The recommended transformer is 18-0-18 with a light load that would be about 15V per side (30VAC) at its rated current.

Guest Kasamiko

Hi Ante,
I know. ;D

Kevin started talking about 120VAC and I should have corrected him but I just continued his discussion.

He, he. Take an amplifier with Kevin's 120V/50VCT transformer to The Philippines and plug it into 230VAC. Even in far away Sweden you'll hear the big
[move]Ka-Boom![/move]

8) ;D

Heres the results..

Line voltage input 220VAC
Transformer secondary 18-0-18 VAC @ 5 Amp.
Output with FULL load is 25-0-25 VDC

With a 25-0-25 transformer @ 5 Amp I got this result:
Secondary output is 32-0-32 VDC!!

Almost 35 Volts near the maximum voltage of the filter capacitor.. ;D

I used the 18-0-18 transformer to play it safe..
or I can use the 25-0-25 and replacing the 35 volts cap with 50 volts

[move]NO! Ka-Boom![/move]

rhonn ;) ;)

Hi Rhonn,
Yeah, it's best to play it safe.
If the mains voltage rose to 240VAC and the amp was lightly loaded or had no load but still had a high output signal, the output transistors would be swinging much more than their rated maximum voltage if you used a 220/25-0-25 transformer.

You don't want the transistors to release any of the important compressed smoke that they have inside. ;D

Hi Steven,
1) Click the moving "<M<" button that gives this:
Bracket move bracket, bracket /move bracket.

2) Then type your words in between the center brackets.

3) You can add colour and size the same way, type your words in between the center brackets.
[move]G'day mate![/move]

4) You can put a smile in between the center brackets too.
[move] ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D[/move]

5) You can type bold characters in between the center brackets too.

Guest Kasamiko

[move]You can also just type the words you want [/move]
[move]Then highlight it[/move]
And click on the appropriate button

Then this crazy stuff happens 8) ;D ;D

[move][glow=red,2,300]NOW EVERYTHING SEEMS TO MOVE!![/glow][/move]