ams AG, a multinational semiconductor manufacturer and provider of high performance sensors and analog ICs, had announced the AS7221, an integrated white-tunable smart lighting manager that can be controlled through its network connection by means of simple text-based commands.
AS7221 is a networking-enabled IoT Smart Lighting Manager with embedded tri-stimulus color sensing for direct CIE color point mapping and control. IoT luminaire control is through a network connection, or by direct connection to 0-10V dimmers, with control outputs that include direct PWM to LED drivers and analog 0-10V to dimming ballasts. A simple text-based Smart Lighting Command Set and serial UART interface, enable easy integration to standard network clients.
Key features of AS7221:
- Calibrated XYZ tri-stimulus color sensing for direct translation to CIE 1931/1976 standard observer color maps
- Autonomous color point and lumen output adjustment resulting in automatic spectral and lumen maintenance
- Simple UART interface for connection to network hardware clients for protocols such as Bluetooth, ZigBee and WiFi
- Smart Lighting Command Set (SLCS) uses simple text-based commands to control and configure a wide variety of functions
- Directly interfaces to 0-10V dimmer controls and standard occupancy sensors
- Built-in PWM generator to dim LED lamps and luminaires
- 12-bit resolution for precise dimming down to 1%
- 0-10V analog output for control of conventional dimming ballasts in a current steering design
- 20-pin LGA package 4.5mm x 4.7mm x 2.5mm with integrated aperture
“The next generation of lighting will be defined by three key characteristics: controllability, adaptation and connected architectures,” said Tom Griffiths, Senior Marketing Manager at ams. “Our new family of smart lighting managers meet those criteria. With this latest entry, we are addressing the luminaire manufacturers’ critical time-to-market challenge for developing and deploying a spectrally tunable luminaire that is cost-effective, accurate, and which smoothly integrates into the Internet of Things”.
The AS7221 is the first extension to ams’s recently announced Cognitive Lighting™ smart lighting manager family. The compact AS7221 will be available in a 5x5mm LGA package, for flexible integration into both luminaires and larger replacement lamps.
There are main domains of AS7221 applications, some of them are:
- Smart home and smart building
- Variable CCT general lighting industrial lighting
- Retail and hospitality lighting with white-color tuning
- LED tro ers, panel and downlights
- LED replacement lamps (LED bulbs)
Pricing for the AS7221 Spectral Tuning IoT Smart Lighting Manager is set at $3.13 in quantities of 10,000 pieces, and is available in production volumes now.
You can find AS7221 datasheet here.