NVE Introduces Smart GMR Magnetometer
NVE Corporation announced the new SM124-10E Smart Magnetometer. The new sensor combines a Giant Magnetoresistance (GMR) sensor element with elegant digital signal processing. The versatile product can be used for current or proximity measurements.
Unlike awkward, old-fashioned Hall-effect sensors, GMR is sensitive in-plane for optimal current sensing and easy mechanical interfaces.
A Slick, Elegant Data Structure
All data and parameters are input and output as single bytes (eight bits). This provides better than 1% precision while eliminating the need to concatenate upper and lower bytes.
No Communications Overhead
Data are always valid, so there is no need to wait for data during an I2C read, and there are no set-up commands or error handling required.
The sensor is factory calibrated for sensitivity, offset, linearity, and temperature compensation. Users can also calibrate the output for a particular system.
Key SM124-10E features include:
- Can detect magnets more than 50 mm away
- I2C and digital threshold outputs
- 7-bit output resolution
- In-plane sensitivity – more usable than Hall effect sensors
- Programmable offset and gain compensation
- Calibrated internal temperature sensor
- Internal temperature compensation
- Optional magnet temperature compensation
- 2.2 to 3.6 V supply
- Ultraminiature 2.5 × 2.5 × 0.8 mm TDFN package
- Evaluation Kit
AG952-07E Smart Magnetometer Evaluation Kit.
The simple AG952-07 Evaluation Kit has everything needed to calibrate, test, and evaluate SM124-10E Smart Magnetometers.
The kit includes:
- A 1-inch by 1.625-inch (25 mm by 41 mm) USB-powered evaluation board with:an SM124-10E GMR Smart Magnetometer
- a microcontroller connected to the sensor via I2C
- a regulated 3.3 volt supply to power the SM124-10E
- a current-carrying trace under the sensor for evaluating as a current sensor
- A small ceramic magnet for evaluating as a proximity sensor
- USB cable to connect the Evaluation Board to a computer
- Windows user interface software
A self-contained programming module with easy-to-use thumbwheel switches and a socket will be available soon to program the sensors’ switching thresholds without need of a computer or microcontroller.
Part of a Family
The SM124 is NVE’s second Smart Magnetometer model. The SM324 tunneling magnetoresistance (TMR) smart magnetometer was introduced in August. Billed as the world’s first TMR smart magnetometer, the SM324 boasts extremely high accuracy. The SM124 has a simpler interface and is higher speed.
SM124-10E Smart Magnetometers are priced at $1.46 each in 1000-piece quantities. AG952-07E Smart Magnetometer Evaluation Kits are priced at only $95.00 each. Sensors and kits are in stock for immediate delivery.
Join 97,426 other subscribers