Snapdragon 888 Mobile HDK runs Android 11 on Qualcomm’s latest 5nm SoC
Qualcomm and Lantronix have come together to launch Snapdragon 888 Mobile Hardware Development Kit – a feature-rich Android development platform designed to provide Android app developers, hardware vendors, and original equipment manufacturers with the right software and tools needed to accelerate the development and testing of devices.
The Snapdragon 888 development board is powered by Qualcomm’s Snapdragon 888 octa-core Kryo 680 CPU with 1x Cortex-X1 core, 3x Cortex-A78 cores, and 4x Cortex-A55 cores, an Adreno 660 GPU, an Hexagon 780 DSP and a Snapdragon X60 5G modem. The processor is the latest premium mobile SoC from Qualcomm and it claims to have 25% faster CPU performance, 35% faster graphics rendering, 3x performance-per-watt improvement and 16x larger shared AI memory compared to its previous generation.
The Snapdragon 888 Dev board can be used to create a variety of high-end devices like smart-phones and tablets, mobile PCs, IP cameras, and artificial Intelligence gateways.
Features and Specifications of the development board include:
- CPU: Qualcomm Snapdragon 888 (SM8350) Qualcomm Kryo 680 with:
- 1x Cortex-X1 core running at 2.84 GHz
- 3x Cortex-A78 cores running at 2.42 GHz, and,
- 4x Cortex-A55 cores running at 1.80 GHz
- GPU: Adreno 660 with support for OpenCL 2.0 FP, OpenGL ES 3.2, Vulkan 1.1, DX12, and up to 8K 360 VR video playback
- Hexagon 780 DSP capable of 26 trillion operations per second (TOPS).
- 12GB LPDDR-3200
- 256GB of UFS 3.0 flash
- 1x MicroSD port
- Up to 4K DSI-driven HDMI 2.0 port
- DisplayPort 1.4 via USB 3.1 Type-C
- 3.5mm audio jack
- 2x 4-lane MIPI DSI display ports
- 6x 4-lane MIPI CSI with 3D camera support
- Optional 6.65″ AMOLED touch screen with 2340 x 1080 resolution
- Optional rear camera daughter card with 16MP + 48MP + 13MP camera, VGA ToF sensor
- Optional front-facing camera accessory board with 20MP IMX476 front camera, MTT016 ToF camera
- 1x GbE port
- 802.11a/b/g/n/ac/ax WiFi 6 @ 2.4/5GHz; Wi-Fi 6E-ready
- Bluetooth 5.1
- 1x USB 3.1 Type-C port
- 2x USB 3.0 host ports
- 1x micro USB 2.0 port for debugging
- 2x M.2 slots
- Low-speed and high-speed I/O connectors
- 2x sensors expansion connectors
- Power Button
- Volume button
- 12V/5V power supply via power barrel jack
- DIMENSIONS: 100 mm x 85 mm
- OPERATING SYSTEM: Android 11
The Snapdragon 888 HDK by default ships with the Snapdragon 888 mainboard, a quick starter guide, 12V AC power adapter, USB cable and other optional accessories like a display expansion board, a rear-facing camera board and a front-facing camera board.
The complete kit is estimated to cost around $2,600 because the board itself is sold for $1,349, while the display board, the sensor board, and the rear-facing and front-facing camera boards are all sold for $499, $150, $299 and $299 respectively.
Further details on the HDK can be found in the following links: