MicroSys Electronics New module and SBC Features NXP’s Cortex-A72 based LS1028A
German-based MicroSys Electronics has begun a limited sampling of a miriac MPX-LS1028A compute module and a sandwich-style miriac SBC-LS1028A-TSN SBC that runs Linux or the real-time Microware OS‐9 distro on NXP’s QorIQ Layerscape LS1028A SoC. It also features 5x TSN-ready GbE ports, and support for up to 2x 10GbE SerDes lanes. The miriac boards emulate the only module using the single- or dual Cortex-A72 based LS1028A: Kontron’s SMARC-sAL28, which powers its KBox A-230-LS embedded computer.
The LS1028A clocks its one or two -A72 cores at up to 1.3GHz, and features support for the real-time IEEE 802.1 Time-Sensitive Networking (TSN), that provides guaranteed latency and Quality of Service (QoS) with time synchronization. The LS1028A is the only QorIQ SoC available right now with a 3D GPU, alternatively, MicroSys allows you to swap it for a headless LS1017 or LS1027 model to save cost. The device comes with built-in Crypto engines and a trust architecture. The standard Linux BSP utilizes Yocto Project code.
The optional Microware OS-9 distribution which is promised in the third quarter of the year will take over from the OS-9 RTOS, which dates back to 1979. Microware (a collaboration between MicroSys, Freestation, and RTSI) has extended the PowerPC-compatible RTOS to support Arm-based QorIQ processors. MicroSys has dedicated itself to NXP development, offering Linux- and Microware OS-9 supported miriac modules and sandwich-style SBCs for a long period of years.
MicroSys’ miriac MPX-LS1028A module was announced earlier in January, and its sampling now, with general availability by July 1. No dimensions are listed for the module, which utilizes an MXM 2.0 edge connector. The module offers up to 4GB DDR4-1600, and includes ECC, up to 256MB NOR and up to 4GB NAND flash.
The miriac MPX-LS1028A utilizes the LS1028A’s networking abilities by enabling support for up to 5x TSN-capable GbE ports. You can also configure its 4x SerDes (Serializer/Deserializer) lanes for up to dual 10Gbps ports or other interfaces, which is configurable in four options:
- 2x PCIe 3.0 (2x x1 or 1x x2)
- 1x SATA 3.0
- Up to 1x QSGMII and up to 1x SGMII
- Up to 1x 10G-QXGMII and 1x 10G-SXGMII
I/O options via the MXM 2.0 connector includes 2x USB 3.0 host and USB 2.0 OTG, 2x UART, 2x CAN FD, 2x SPI, and 2x eSDHC, plus up to 6x SAI (audio) and up to 8x I2C. Single JTAG and RGMII, and also an additional GPIOs are available. It offers support for a DisplayPort or eDP interface, as well as an RTC and a temperature sensor. No operating range is listed for the 5V module or the SBC.
The 100 x 60mm miriac SBC-LS1028A-TSN expands simultaneously the miriac MPX-LS1028A module with 8GB eMMC and a microSD slot. For networking, the LS1028A-TSN features 5x TSN-ready Gigabit Ethernet ports and a sixth standard GbE, all enabling Power-over-Ethernet support. The SBC is also equipped with a pair of USB 3.0 ports, a DisplayPort, dual mini-PCIe slots, a mikroBus interface, and a host of features.
Specifications listed for the miriac SBC-LS1028A-TSN include:
- Processor: (miriac MPX-LS1028A module) — NXP QorIQ Layerscape LS1028A (1x or 2x -A72 @ up to 1.3Gbps); 3D graphics GPU or optional headless models; crypto and trust
- Memory/storage: Up to 4GB DDR4-1600, including ECC (via MPX-LS1028A), Up to 256MB NOR (via MPX-LS1028A), Up to 4GB NAND (via MPX-LS1028A), 8GB eMMC (bootable), MicroSD slot (bootable), mSATA via mini-PCIe
- Networking: 5x TSN GbE ports, 1x standard GbE port, PoE (IEEE 1588) support, Up to 2x 10GbE potentially available via module’s SerDes support
- Other I/O: DisplayPort, 2x USB 3.0 ports, Micro-USB 2.0 console interface, 2x CAN-FD, 2x JTAG, Fan connector
- Expansion: 2x mini-PCIe slots (1x with mSATA support), MikroBus slot
- Other features: RTC with battery; watchdog, LEDs, reset and boot switches
- Power: 9-24V DC
- Dimensions: 100 x 60mm
- Operating system: Linux BSP (Yocto); Microware OS-9 (Q3); others available upon request
The miriac MPX-LS1028A module and miriac SBC-LS1028A-TSN SBC are in early sampling, with no pricing disclosed. More information can be found in MicroSys’ miriac MPX-LS1028A announcement, and miriac MPX-LS1028A and miriac SBC-LS1028A-TSN product pages.