Qualcomm Unveils Snapdragon 855 Hardware Development Kit (HDK)
Snapdragon 855 is a popular, high-end processor that is found in premium smartphones such as Samsung Galaxy S10 or Xiaomi Mi 9. Recently Snapdragon 855 Mobile Hardware Development Kit appeared on Qualcomm developer website. The Qualcomm® Snapdragon™ 855 mobile hardware development kit (HDK) is a highly integrated and optimized Android development platform designed for technology companies to integrate and innovate mobile device development on the Snapdragon 855 mobile platform.
Snapdragon 855 is a octa-core processor fabricated with 7nm process and comes with WiFi 5, Bluetooth 5.0, GNSS, Gigabit Ethernet, multiple MIPI DSI and CSI interfaces, DisplayPort over USB-C and HDMI outputs and more.
Snapdragon 855 HDK preliminary specifications:
- SoC – Qualcomm Snapdragon 855 Octa-core processor with 1x Kryo 485 Gold Prime core at up to 2.8 GHz, 3x Kryo 485 Gold cores at up to 2.4 GHz, and 4x Kryo 485 Silver low-power cores at up to 1.7 GHz, Adreno 640 GPU
- System Memory – TBD
- Storage – TBD flash, micro SD card slot
- Video Output
- 2x MIPI 4-lane DSI + touch panel
- 1x HDMI
- DisplayPort over USB 3.1 type-C port
- Camera Input – 3x MIPI 4-lane CSI with support for 3D camera configuration
- Gigabit Ethernet
- WiFi 5 802.11ac 2×2 with MU-MIMO; “WiFi 6 ready”
- Bluetooth 5.0
- GNSS – GPS/GLONASS/COMPASS/GALILEO
- USB – 2x USB 3.0 type A ports, 1x USB 3.1 type-C port
- 2x Sensor I/O connectors
- Audio input and output header
- 3.5mm audio headset jack
- Mini PCIe port
- 96boards? HS and LS connectors
- VERTIGO connector (what is it for?)
- Debugging – 1x micro USB port
- Misc – 4x user LEDs, WiFi and Bluetooth LEDs, power and volume buttons
- Power Supply – 12V DC via power barrel, and maybe USB-C port
- Dimensions – Not specified, but it sure looks like the board follows 96Boards CE Extended specs, so it should be 100×85 mm
The board supports Android 9, and the company provides optional accessories including a 5.7″ touchscreen display with 2560×1440 resolution and expansion board, as well as camera modules, namely 12MP + 5MP front camera, and DUAL 12MP + 13MP rear cameras.
There is no information accessible on availability and pricing and possibly it should be sold by Intrinsyc with a price tag well over $1,000 without accessories, since Snapdragon 845 HDK already sells for $1,079.