Onion Omega2 LTE – A 4G LTE and Wi-Fi connected Linux dev board with GNSS global positioning
The Omega2 LTE is a Linux IoT computer with Wi-Fi and LTE cellular connectivity.
Effortlessly deploy your existing IoT applications in remote areas and no longer be limited by the range of Wi-Fi networks. The Linux network stack makes the switch between WiFi and cellular data seamless to user applications.
Take your existing NodeJS or Python IoT project outside the building with ZERO effort!
The Omega2 LTE has all the hardware you need for:
- Remote sensor applications – as a hub or end-node
- Real-time asset tracking
- LTE Hotspot – share the high-speed LTE data connection with IoT devices, laptops, and tablets
Now with GNSS Support
On top of that, the Omega2 LTE also has GNSS global positioning capabilities, further extending the possible use cases to include real-time asset and fleet tracking.
- Compatible with GPS, GLONASS, Galileo, Beidou, and other regional systems
- Easily report geopositioning and other data to remote servers using the LTE data connection
Self-contained and Battery Powered
Omega2 LTE is a self-contained device that is smaller than a standard breadboard, making it a great form-factor for use in any IoT project. Just add LTE antennas and power.
It’s flexible when it comes to power: you can provide power from any USB port or with a LiPo battery. Connected batteries will automatically recharge when USB power is present, and will act as a back-up power supply if USB power is not stable.
Wireless Networking Capabilities
The Omega2 LTE specializes in wireless networking, sporting 4G LTE connectivity and Wi-Fi capabilities, making it ideal for outdoor and remote sensor hub applications.
- The Wi-Fi interface can simultaneously host its own Wi-Fi access point and connect to existing Wi-Fi networks
- It enables uses cases that are not limited by the range of Wi-Fi networks since the 4G LTE data connection provides internet connectivity as long as there is cellular signal
- The LTE data connection can also be shared through the Omega’s Wi-Fi access point or even through ethernet using the Ethernet Expansion
The Omega2 family
Omega2 LTE is the latest addition to the Omega2 family and is based on the Omega2S module so it builds on all of the work we’ve done over the past three years since launching the Omega2. That means it’s an all-in-one device that features the standard Omega2 30-pin header, and it comes pre-loaded with the OpenWRT Linux OS. Also, it’s compatible with our existing eco-system of Omega2 Expansions. OnionOS provides an intuitive user interface through the browser with no installation required. Write code, run commands, and use apps to interact with your Omega2 LTE.
“Effortlessly deploy your existing IoT applications in remote areas and no longer be limited by the range of Wi-Fi networks. The Linux network stack makes the switch between WiFi and cellular data seamless to user applications.”
Key differences from the Omega2 Pro:
- Adds 4G LTE connectivity
- Adds support for GNSS global positioning system
- Upgraded USB port for power and serial command line access to USB Type-C
- Does not feature 8 GB eMMC – Instead the operating System runs on on internal storage of Omega2S+ module and has a MicroSD slot for extending storage space
- Added 4G LTE network status and activity LEDs – Does not have a RGB Notification LED
- Rectangular, enclosure friendly board layout instead of the the signature Onion three-corner-cut design.
- Still features 30-pin I/O header and support for Omega2 Expansions
- Removed USB Type-A host port
- Based on the Omega2S+ IoT computer module
- Processor: 580 MHz MIPS CPU
- Memory: 128 MB RAM
- Storage: 32 MB
- Connectivity: 2.4 GHz b/g/n Wi-Fi
- Operating System: OpenWRT 18.06 Linux, kernel 4.14
- Wi-Fi: On-board 2dBi direction chip antenna & U.FL connector for external antenna
- 4G LTE: U.FL connectors for main and diversity antennas
- GNSS: U.FL connector for GNSS antenna
- SIM Support: Nano-SIM slot for cellular data
- SD Support: On-board MicroSD slot, supporting cards up to 2TB
- Battery Support: LiPo battery management & JST-PH battery connector
- Dimensions: 80 x 50 mm
Onion is set to crowdfund the Omega2 LTE on Crowd Supply, however, launch date and price are not currently available.