Adafruit QT PY-ESP32-S2 And Free Pink Adafruit Feather RP2040 For Orders Reaching $99.00
Electronics Manufacturer Adafruit has launched the newest member of its QT-PY family of development boards, the QT PY-ESP32-S2 which comes with an incentive, a free Feather RP2040 for RP2040 Chip for orders starting at $99.00.
The 3rd board in a family which already features boards such as the Microchip SAMD21 based QT PY-SAMD21 Dev Board, and the Raspberry Pi RP2040 chip-based QT-PY RP2040, the QT-PY ESP32-S2 is a furtherance of the desire by Adafruit to create python-based development boards based on popular MCUs.
As the name implies, the QT-PY ESP32-S2 is based on the ESP32-S2 System-on-Chip (SoC) featuring a 32-bit Xtensa LX7 single-core processor with a clock speed of 240 MHz, 2 MB PSRAM, 4 MB Flash, and an ultra-low-power coprocessor based on RISC-V architecture. The SoC also features a 2.4 GHz WiFi, native USB OTG interface, ADC, 43 GPIOs, UART, I2C, LED PWM, LCD interface, SPI, I2S, camera interface, DAC, touch sensor, and a temperature sensor. The ESP32-S2 supports security features like eFuse flash encryption, integrated AES, SHA, and RSA algorithms, etc.
The board has the same form-factor and pin-out as the Seeed Xiao and can be soldered to a PCB through its castellated edges. It debuts STEMMA QT connectors for I2C bus and supports plug-and-play development with any MCU via a cable without B2B soldering. The board also features a 3.3V voltage regulator, USB-C, 13 GPIOs, UART, RGB NeoPixel with a power control pin, a reset button, a boot button, battery input pads, and 5x capacitive touch. Additionally, with a low regulator peak current output of 600mA and a deep sleep current of 100uA, the board is suitable for power-efficient application performance.
Key Highlights and Specifications of QT PY-ESP32-S2 Dev Board:
- SoC: ESP32-S2; 32-bit Xtensa LX7 single-core processor @ 240 MHz, with 2.4 GHz WiFi, 2 MB PSRAM, 4 MB Flash, native USB, and an ultra-low-power coprocessor based on RISC-V architecture.
- OS: supports Arduino IDE or CircuitPython
- 3.3V regulator / 600mA peak output
- Deep sleep at 100uA
- up to 6V input (via external Battery input pads)
- Connectors: 13 GPIO pins:
- 11 on breakout pads and 2 more on QT connector
- 10 x 12-bit analog inputs (SPI high-speed pads do not have analog inputs)
- 8-bit analog output DAC
- PWM outputs on any pin
- 2x I2C ports, one on the breakout pads, and another with STEMMA QT plug-n-play connector
- 1x UART
- 1x SPI (on the high-speed SPI peripheral puns)
- Hardware I2S on any pins
- 5 x Capacitive Touch (require no additional components
- USB Type C connector
- Native USB supported by every OS – can be used in Arduino or CircuitPython as USB serial console, MIDI, Keyboard/Mouse HID
- RGB NeoPixel LED (with power control to reduce quiescent power in deep sleep)
- 1x Reset button
- 1x Boot button
- Dimensions: 21.8mm x 17.9mm x 5.7mm
As an incentive for customers who buy her product, Adafruit offers a free Feather RP2040 for RP2040 Chip for others above $99.00.
Highlight features and specifications of the Pink Feather RP2040 include:
- MCU: RP2040 32-bit Cortex M0+ dual-core running @ 125 MHz @ 3.3V logic/power, 264 KB RAM
- Storage: 8 MB SPI FLASH chip (for storing files and CircuitPython/MicroPython code storage), No EEPROM
- Power: 3.3V Power/enable pin, 3.3V regulator with 500mA peak current output
- Serials: USB -C connector (for accessing built-in ROM USB bootloader and serial port debugging)
- 21 x GPIO pins including;
- 4x 12-bit ADCs (+1 more than Pico), 2x I2C, 2x SPI, 2x UART peripherals (one is labeled the ‘main’ interface in standard Feather locations), 16 x PWM outputs, 8 digital non-ADC/non-peripheral GPIO
- Misc: Built-in 200mA+ Lipoly charger with charging status indicator LED, Pin #13 red LED for general purpose blinking, RGB NeoPixel for full-color indication, Onboard STEMMA QT connector, Both Reset button and Bootloader select button for quick restarts (no unplugging-replugging to relaunch code), Optional SWD debug port
- Dimension: 50.8mm x 22.8mm x 7mm
The Adafruit QT PY-ESP32-S2 sold at $9.95, with the Pink Feather RP2040 given out as an incentive on the development board for orders starting from $99.00.
More information on the QT PY-ESP32 can be found on the product’s page.