Maxim Integrated MAX98361 Plug-and-Play Digital Class-D Amplifiers
Maxim Integrated MAX98361 Plug-and-Play Digital Class-D Amplifiers are easy-to-use, low-cost, digital pulse-code modulation (PCM) input amplifiers featuring industry-leading, Class-AB audio performance with Class-D efficiency. The MAX98361 has a digital audio interface that automatically recognizes different PCM and TDM clocking schemes, eliminating the need for I2C programming. This easy-to-use amp allows users to supply power, LRCLK, BCLK, and digital audio to generate audio. Additionally, a novel pinout enables users to use the cost-effective WLP package without expensive vias.
The Maxim MAX98361 Plug-and-Play Digital Class-D Amplifiers provide a flexible digital audio interface, supporting I2S, left-justified, and 8-channel time division multiplexed (TDM) data formats. The digital audio interface accepts 8kHz, 16kHz, 32kHz, 44.1kHz, 48kHz, 88.2kHz, and 96kHz sample rates. Meanwhile, data words can be 16-bit, 24-bit, or 32-bit in I2S and left-justified modes and 16-bit or 32-bit in TDM mode. The device’s digital audio interface input thresholds are ideal for interfacing to 1.2V and 1.8V logic, with the device tolerating logic input voltages up to 5.5V.
The MAX98361A and MAX98361B offer fast 1ms turn-on times, while the MAX98361C and MAX98361D ramp the volume over 13ms during turn-on and turn-off. The amps eliminate the need for the external MCLK signal typically used for PCM communication. These features reduce EMI and possible board coupling issues and reduce the size and pin count.
The MAX98361 is specified over the -40°C to +85°C temperature range.
- Simple plug-and-play design
- Single-supply operation (2.5V to 5.5V)
- 3.2W Output power into 4Ω at 5V
- 2.2mA Quiescent current
- 1ms Turn-on time (for MAX98361A and MAX98361B)
- 92% Efficiency (RL = 8Ω, THD+N = 10%)
- 10μVRMS Output noise
- 110dB Dynamic range
- Low 0.009% THD+N at 1kHz
- No MCLK Required
- Sample rates of 8kHz to 96kHz
- Supports left, right, or (left/2 + right/2) output in I2S and left-justified modes
- Sophisticated edge rate control enables filterless class-D outputs
- 81dB PSRR at 217Hz
- 1.5μA Standby current allows elimination of GPIO for EN pin
- Low RF susceptibility rejects TDMA noise from GSM radios
- Class-D Switching frequency trimmed to 5% for better EMI planning
- Extensive click-and-pop reduction circuitry
- Robust short-circuit and thermal protection
- Available in space-saving package 9-Pin WLP (0.4mm pitch)
- 3.69mm2 Solution size for WLP with a single bypass capacitor
more information: https://www.maximintegrated.com/en/products/analog/audio/MAX98361.html
Join 97,426 other subscribers