STMicroelectronics’ VL53L1X is a state-of-the-art ToF laser-ranging sensor, enhancing the ST FlightSense product family. It is the fastest miniature ToF sensor currently on the market with accurate ranging up to 4 m and fast ranging frequency (up to 100 Hz). Housed in a miniature and reflowable package, it integrates a single photon avalanche diode (SPAD) receiving array, a 940 nm invisible laser Class 1 emitter, and optics to achieve the best ranging performance in various ambient lighting conditions.
It is easy to integrate into devices, allowing creative ID since it can be hidden behind various cover window materials and colors. Unlike conventional IR sensors, the VL53L1X uses ST’s latest generation ToF technology which allows absolute distance measurement whatever the target color and reflectance. It is also possible to program the size of the ROI on the receiving array, allowing to reduce the sensor FoV.
- Long distance and accurate ranging up to 4 meters
- High speed ranging frequency (up to 100 Hz)
- Very small package for easy integration (single module combining laser emitter, SPAD receiving array, and microcontroller in a reflowable package)
- Can be hidden behind various cover window material and colors (creative ID)
- Not affected by target reflectance, material and color, unlike traditional IR proximity sensors