Bouffalo Labs BL602 microcontroller is a Wi-Fi and Bluetooth LE-capable microcontroller with a 32-bit RISC-V derived core. The chipset is designed for ultra-low-cost low-power applications and has support for 2.4G radio, Wi-Fi 802.11b/g/n and BLE 5.0 baseband/MAC designs. It also has support for a variety of safety and security features.
The BL602 microcontroller might not be able to stand side by side with the ESP8266 in terms of price but it definitely has more features, more memory, and more storage. We also learned that a Hong-Kong based organization known as Pine64 is currently making some efforts to reverse engineer the microcontroller for a fully open-source blob-free wireless implementation.
BL-63B IoT Module
Several boards have been built around this BL602 microcontroller like the DT-BL10 development board, the PineCone BL602 board, and the new BL-63B – a more compact module that offers many possibilities at a more favorable price.
The BL-63B is a highly integrated single-chip low-power 802.11n wireless local area network (WLAN) network controller. It has a low power consumption rate with high performance and support for various safety functions. The 17.3 mm x 15 mm x 3mm module also features a number of configurable general purpose IOs, which are configured as digital peripherals for different applications and control purposes.
Some of the key features and specifications of the BL63B module include:
- High performance
- Low power consumption
- Support for safety functions
- Integrates internal memory for complete WIFI protocol functions
- Microcontroller: Bouffalo Labs BL602 32-bit RISC-V processor running at up to 192 Mhz, with:
- 276KB RAM
- 128KB ROM
- 1 Kbit eFuse,
- Embedded flash (optional)
- 4x DMA channels, and,
- Wireless subsystem that contains 2.4G radio, Wi-Fi 802.11b/g/n and Bluetooth Low Energy 5.0 baseband / MAC designs
- 2MB flash
- 2.4GHz 802.11b/g/n WiFI 4 1×1 SISO up to 65 Mbps (802.11n) or 26 Mbps (802.11g)
- Bluetooth Low Energy (BLE) 5.0
- PCB antenna
- Up to 5x General Purpose IO (GPIO), UART, ADC, DAC, PWM, I2C, SPI, IR, Reset, 3.3V and GND
- 2x additional test pads for GND, IO8 and IO5
- Power supply: 3.0 to 3.6V
- Dimensions: 17.3 mm x 15 mm x 3mm
- Operating Temperature Range: -30°C to +85°C
- FCC ID: 2AVTT-BL63B
The BL-63B module is currently available and sells for $2.5 per piece on Taobao in China. However, if you are purchasing as many as 1000 pieces, you would qualify for some discounts and be able to purchase one piece for only $1.5. You can also buy this device on the LCSC Electronics page.
Further details on the module can be found here