Pine64’s SoEdge-RK1808 AI Module Delivers 3.0 TOPS using Rockchip RK1808 SoC
A few time ago, Ameridroid reported that Pine64 would soon launch SoRock and SoEdge systems-on-module, but at the time there was virtually no info except SoRock would be likely based on either RK3328 or RK3399 and work on the existing Clusterboard. SoEdge would be an AI Neural module for Artificial Intelligence tasks, with up to 3 TeraFLOPS of performance, but no more than this were available.
Fast forward to today, some photos of SoEdge-RK1808 module fitted to a baseboard that looks to be SOPINE Model “A” carrier board appeared online on www.cnx-software.com. On the same website they tried to decode the specifications based on those photos. Let’s take a look.
SoEdge-RK1808 SoM Specifications
- SoC – Rockchip RK1808 dual-core Cortex-A35 processor with 3.0 TOPS NPU (Neural Processing Unit)
- System Memory – 2GB RAM (2x 8GBit Micro DDR4-2400) but limited PC-2133
- Storage – 16GB eMMC 5.1 flash (FORESEE NCEMAD9D-16G)
- PMIC – Rockchip RK809-2
- Edge Connector – 204-pin SO-DIMM connector
- Dimensions – 67.9 x 31.0 mm (following DDR3 SO-DIMM / SoPine64 form factor)
SoEdge-R1808 and SOPINE Model A Baseboard
As mentioned previously SoEdge-RK1808 appears to be compatible with SOPINE A64 SoM and fits into SOPINE Model “A” baseboard.
It should be noted that all ports may not be working on that baseboard, since for example RK1808 does not support HDMI, but MPI DSI and CSI connector should be fine.
SOEdge-RK1808 module price will be the same as SOPine A64 module, or $29
reported by Jean-Luc Aufranc @ www.cnx-software.com