FriendlyElec Launches SOM-RK3399 Development Kit for AI Applications
FriendlyElec has launched a new SOM-RK3399 and SoM-RK3399 Development Kit based on Rockchip’s powerful SoC and aimed at AI and computer vision applications. The s $75, RK3399-based “SOM-RK3399” COM/SBC hybrid can function alone or can be expanded with a $120 “SOM-RK3399 Dev Kit” with -20 to 70℃ support and M.2 and mini-PCIe expansion.
Last year, the company released a pair of open source SBCs built around the same chip, the NanoPi M4, also with the NanoPi Neo4, expected to take on the Raspberry Pi 3 with its less powerful Broadcom BCM2837 SoC. On the CPU board feature, the SOM-RK3399 can run as an independent SBC, and beyond the 64-bit hexa-core RK3399 with Mali-T864 GPU, the board is equipped with 2Gb of dual-channel DDR3 RAM, and 16Gb (32Gb/64Gb optional) of eMMC 5.1 Flash. Connectivity features include Gigabit Ethernet, 802.11a/b/g/n/ac Wi-Fi, Bluetooth 4.1 (dual mode), and a dual antenna interface. The SOM-RK3399 is fitted with a pair of USB Type-C ports, 2X USB 2.o ports, a single USB 3.0 host interface, HDMI 2.0a, Display Port (over USB Type-C), a 4-lane LCD eDP connector, and one or two 4-Lane MIPI-DSI.
Available also are PCIe X4 (compatible with PCIe 2.1/dual-mode operation), plus 14X GPIO (6X 1.8V/8X 3.3V), I2S, 2X I2C (1.8V/3.3V), 2X PWM, UART / SPI, ADC, IR-RX, SPDIF_TX, and 3X 1.8V ADC inputs. FriendlyElec’s SOM-RK3399 DEV Kit Carrier Board features an M.2 slot for NVMe-style SSDs and a mini-PCIe slot for connecting 4G/LTE modules. It also has MIPI CS12/MIPI-DSI1/MIPI CSI1 connectors, 4X USB 3.0 ports, 3X USB 2.0 4-pin connectors, HDMI Input/output ports, mic/headphone jacks, IR/accelerometer, and a micro SD card slot.
The Carrier Board’s also features a 10/100/1000mbps Ethernet port, 3X antenna connectors, and a host of different headers — 3X ADC, IR-IN, 2X I2C, 2X UART, 8ch-I2S, 3X GPIO, and 1X SPDIF-TX. The SOM-RK3399 Development Kit OS option takes advantage of Android 7.1 with RKMC (Kodi), Android 8.1 with NN SDK (for leveraging GPU acceleration for AI applications), Ubuntu 16.04, FriendlyCore 18.04, and Armbian.
FirendlyElec prices the SOM-RK3399 standalone SBC Board for $75 or packaged with the Carrier Board for $120. There is also a host of add-ons as well, such as various-sized touchscreen displays, MIPI camera modules, and more.
Specifications listed for the new SOM-RK3399 Dev Kit include:
- Processor (via SOM-RK3399) — Rockchip RK3399 (2x Cortex-A72 at up to 2.0GHz, 4x Cortex-A53) with Mali-T860 GPU
- Memory/storage: 2GB DDR3 RAM (via SOM-RK3399), 16GB, 32GB, or 64GB eMMC 5.1 (via SOM-RK3399), MicroSD slot, Optional NVMe SSD via M.2 M-key (see below)
- Networking: GbE port (native), 802.11b/g/n/ac (2×2 MIMO) with Bluetooth 4.1 (Ampak AP6356S, via SOM-RK3399), 3x antenna interfaces with optional antennas
- Media I/O: HDMI 2.0a port for up to 4K@60Hz, HDCP 2.2, HDMI input, DisplayPort 1.2 available via USB Type-C, eDP 1.3 (4-lane), MIPI-DSI (1x or 2x 4-lane), MIPI-CSI (1x or 2x 4-lane) for up to 13MP cameras, Optional 7-inch, 1280 x 800 or 11.6-inch, 1920 x 1280 cap touchscreen, Optional cameras, Dual display support, 2x audio jacks, SPDIF and I2S interfaces
- Other I/O: 2x USB 3.0 Type-C ports, 1x for power, 1x for USB or DP 1.2 (via SOM-RK3399), 4x USB 3.0 host ports, 3x USB 2.0 interfaces, 2x I2C, 2x UART, Debug UART, ADC, fan header, SPI, PWM, GPIO, etc.
- Expansion: Mini-PCIe slot with 4G/LTE support, Micro-SIM slot, M.2 M-key with PCIe x4 and NVMe SSD support
- Other features: Recovery, reset, power keys and 2x LEDs (via SOM-RK3399), 3x LEDs, Power key, switch, mode select, key jumper, reset key, recovery key, 3x user keys, IR receiver, 3x axis accelerometer, Multiple LEDs, Cooling fan (possibly optional)
- Power: 2x 12V DC inputs (jack and connector); USB Type-C; RK808-D PMIC; DC 12V/1A connector on SOM-RK3399 module
- Weight — 17.95 gm
- Dimensions — 235.1 x 156.4 x 1.2mm, 8-layer (69.6 x 50mm for SOM-RK3399 module)
- Operating temperature — -20 to 70℃
- Operating system — Linux 4.4-LTS with U-boot, Android 7.1 with RKMC (Kodi), Android 8.1 with NN SDK, Lubuntu 16.04, FriendlyCore 18.04 with Qt 5.1 and OpenCV4, FriendlyDesktop 18.04 with Qt 5.1 and OpenCV4, Buildroot